A glycoprotein (GP72) has been isolated from Trypanosoma cruzi and found to contain 41% protein, 49% carbohydrate and 10% phosphate. All phosphate was covalently attached to the carbohydrate which contained the following sugars: ribose, xylose, fucose, galactose, mannose, glucose and glucosamine. The carbohydrate side chains were linked to protein by fucose, xylose and N-acetylglucosamine; 50% of the total N-acetylglucosamine was involved in glycoprotein linkages. Two classes of carbohydrate side chains were detected. One class comprised 15% of the total carbohydrate and contained glucosamine, mannose and galactose; some of these chains were phosphorylated. The other class comprised 85% of the total carbohydrate and contained xylose, ribose, fucose, galactose, mannose, glucosamine and phosphate; these chains were antigenic and reacted with a monoclonal antibody with specificity for the whole glycoprotein.
Research Article| August 01 1983
Studies on the structure of a phosphoglycoprotein from the parasitic protozoan Trypanosoma cruzi
Biochem J (1983) 213 (2): 313–319.
- Views Icon Views
- PDF LinkPDF
- Share Icon Share
- Cite Icon Cite
M A J Ferguson, A K Allen, D Snary; Studies on the structure of a phosphoglycoprotein from the parasitic protozoan Trypanosoma cruzi. Biochem J 1 August 1983; 213 (2): 313–319. doi: https://doi.org/10.1042/bj2130313
Download citation file: