A natural avermectin complex, aversectin C, was shown to be capable of exerting selective cytostatic and neurotoxic effects on mammalian cells. Specifically, it killed proliferating neuroblastoma B103 cells but was non-toxic for differentiated cells of this culture. The anti-proliferation action of aversectin C was not inhibited by bicuculline or picrotoxin, antagonists of the GABAα receptors, and was partly due to the action of avermectin A1, a component of aversectin C. Aversectin C irreversibly suppressed activity of 60% neurons in medial septal slices of the rat brain. More than 55% of them were the GABAα- and B1-sensitive neurons whereas the rest, about 45% neurons, were the GABAα-insensitive and the neurotoxic effect of aversectin C was caused mainly by the B2 component.
Selective Cytostatic and Neurotoxic Effects of Avermectins and Activation of the GABAα Receptors
- Views Icon Views
- Share Icon Share
- Cite Icon Cite
Yuri M. Kokoz, Vera G. Tsyganova, Antonina F. Korystova, Alexey S. Grichenko, Konstantin I. Zenchenko, Victor A. Drinyaev, Vladimir A. Mosin, Elena B. Kruglyak, Tatyana S. Sterlina, Alexander V. Victorov; Selective Cytostatic and Neurotoxic Effects of Avermectins and Activation of the GABAα Receptors. Biosci Rep 1 December 1999; 19 (6): 535–546. doi: https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020262811459
Download citation file: