1. The management of hypertension in overweight subjects has been studied.
2. Sixty-three patients were randomly allocated into a ‘dietary management’ or ‘treatment’ group; the sixty-four controls were told of their hypertension and instructed to seek advice from their usual medical attendant. Reassessment was at 1 year.
3. Treated patients consumed a 700 calorie, 1 g NaCl diet daily.
4. Weight loss was greater in the ‘treated’ group.
5. The average fall of blood pressure was slightly greater in the ‘treated’ group.