1. Factors involved in the neural control of renin release have been reviewed.
2. Experimental evidence has been obtained that sympathetic stimulation releases renin from the kidney independently of local vasomotor changes.
3. The reflex control of renin release on postural change has been established.
4. The effect of diuretics on renin release has been studied and evidence of neural and non-neural mechanisms obtained.
5. The effect of suprarenal aortic stenosis has been studied; the findings suggest that renin release is in some way dependent on neural mechanisms.
6. The pathological significance of the neural control of renin release has been discussed.