1. Renal venous and urinary prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) and prostaglandin F2α (PGF2α) were measured in spontaneously hypertensive (SH) rats and Wistar-Kyoto normotensive rats (WKy) of 4 different ages, ranging from 4 to 54 weeks.
2. Renal venous (plasma) PGE2 and PGF2α were similar in WKy and SH rats at all ages, except for greater PGF2α in 40–54 week old SH rats.
3. Urinary (24 h) PGE2 and PGF2α were similar in WKy and SH rats at all ages, except for greater PGE2 in 7–12 week old SH rats.
4. There was a significant trend for renal venous and urinary PGE2 and PGF2α to decrease with advancing age.
5. These experiments did not show evidence that the SH rat kidney, in vivo, has an abnormality of PGE2 or PGF2α production or degradation, which alters secretion or excretion of either prostaglandin.