1. Blood pressure, the hypotensive effect of captopril, plasma renin activity, renal renin content and kidney weight were measured in the two-kidney—one-clip model, the one-kidney—one-clip model and the two-kidney—one-clip model with the ureter of the contralateral kidney ligated in rats. The ureteric ligation was performed to abolish urinary excretion from the contralateral kidney in the two-kidney—one-clip model.
2. The development of hypertension after renal artery constriction was earlier and greater in the one-kidney—one-clip model and the two-kidney—one-clip model with ureter of the contralateral kidney ligated than in the two-kidney—one-clip model. A single oral dose of captopril produced a greater fall in blood pressure in both the two-kidney models than in the one-kidney—one-clip group.
3. Plasma renin activity and renal renin content of the clipped kidney were higher in the two-kidney model rats, whether or not the ureter had been ligated, than in the one-kidney—one-clip model animals, although more than half the rats from the two-kidney model had normal values. There was a significant correlation between plasma renin activity and the response to captopril in all groups, whereas in none of the three groups was the correlation between plasma renin activity and blood pressure significant.
4. The clipped kidney had a higher renin content than did the contralateral kidney, and the weight of the ischaemic kidney was decreased compared with the contralateral kidney whether it was untouched or had its ureter ligated. The weight of the clipped kidney was in the order one-kidney—one-clip model > two-kidney—one-clip model with ureter of the contralateral kidney ligated > two-kidney—one-clip model.
5. It was concluded that the renin-angiotensin system was stimulated to the similar degree in some animals for the two-kidney—one-clip models, whether or not the ureter of the contralateral kidney had been ligated, compared with the one-kidney—one-clip animals. This finding suggests that the contralateral kidney can stimulate renin secretion and synthesis in the clipped kidney independently of Na+ excretion.